PCI SCSI dual-boot setup

Adam McDougall mcdouga9@egr.msu.edu
Sat, 17 Mar 2001 16:40:42 -0500 (EST)

You should be able to download the proper drivers to a floppy and hit F6
when win2k boots and asks for manuf-supplied drivers.  If you cannot even
boot off the cdrom then you have to run some program from the cd to make a
set of 4 boot floppies as well as having the drivers on floppy.  I cant
recall if it was still built into winnt(32).exe or a batch file, I could
find out if you really need to know ;)  Dual booting wont be hard, the
boot manager that comes with freebsd knows how to flip which partition is
active on boot so that will be sufficient to dualboot to win2k.

ps.  FreeBSD 4.3 is only a week or so away from -RELEASE, it is in code
freeze now so all the fun goodies are in and last minute bugfixes are in.
ftp://releng4.freebsd.org/ has daily snapshots, I have been running the
last few days builds on a test computer here.  I would suggest you use the
latest daily snapshot if you have any intentions of using the os to its
full advantage or at least updating it to -release or -stable in the
future since you will have 4 months less of updates to catch up on.  Be
sure to take a look at the relnotes.txt, finally someone has gotten on the
ball with documenting all the things that make it worthwhile to upgrade =)
Also if you try a snapshot less than a few days old (including the future
4.3-release and later) be sure to toggle softupdates on when making the
partition labels on everything except / unless / is large, you definitely
want the nice caching and metadata ordering it provides.  Its especially
good for tmp partitions because file writes that get deleted before they
get flushed from the cache never hit the disk.