[OT] Hardware - SCSI

Mike Szumlinski szumlins@msu.edu
Sun, 18 Mar 2001 10:33:20 -0500

Have I ever mentioned how much I hate M$?

I spent all St. Patricks day doing laundry and trying to get either Win98 or
Win2k to recognize my Western Digital Enterprise 10k LVD SCSI drive on an
Adaptec 2940UW card. I used this drive in the past to run MacOS, MacOS X
Server, LinuxPPC, FreeBSD 4.2, Redhat 7.0, and Corel Linux (on two different
boxes, obviously).  When I get it running, both Windows recognize the drive
as being there, and they even list it under the "device manager" as a fixed
disk, yet it has no drive letter and I can't access it.  I can even use
Western Digital's SCSI bench to do read/write tests, reset the drive, and
format it (which I have done all of) from within Windows. I just need to get
a stupid drive letter so I can install something on it. The SCSI card is
bootable, but neither M$ OS sees the drive on it until after boot. Is this
something funky to do with SCSI that I don't understand? My Macs never give
me these problems. Any help would be appreciated.

I hate this blasted counterstrike addiction....

-Mike

|Mike Szumlinski           |
|Michigan State University |
|A26079565                 |
"The future is no place to place your better days" -DMB