crontab lynx

Paul_Melson@keykertusa.com Paul_Melson@keykertusa.com
Mon, 19 Mar 2001 09:39:15 -0500

>I've recently upgraded from RedHat 6.1 to 6.2. It has seriously broken
>scripts which run lynx from crontab. Running these scripts from a login
>shell work just fine. And running these jobs from crontab on 6.1 work
>fine.
>
>When I run these jobs from crontab on RedHat 6.2 I get a message
>"Your terminal lacks the ability to clear the screen or position the
>cursor."
>
>This is the same exact "lynx -dump" script that I've been using for the
>last three+ years and three+ linuxes.
>
>I've tried "lynx -dump -term=vt100 $URL" but that doesn't seem to help at
>all. At this point, I am at a loss.
>
>If anyone knows how to get lynx and crontab happy with redhat, i'd love to
>hear it.

     Odd.  I just tried it (without '-term') on a RedHat 7 system
     and it ran flawlessly.  I would be concerned that forcing VT100
     emulation would lead to VT100 characters in your output file,
     which could muck up any parsing or post-processing that your
     script does.  Have you thought about maybe using `wget` ?  I
     know it doesn't strip HTML codes the way lynx does, but it's
     pretty nice.  I use it in scripts to monitor logfiles and
     check the local temperature every hour.  And it's purely a
     command-line program, so your termcap problems would be
     solved.

PaulM