crontab lynx

Eric Hendrickson erich@theotherend.com
Mon, 19 Mar 2001 07:08:16 -0800

At 06:39 AM 3/19/2001, Paul_Melson@keykertusa.com wrote:

> >I've recently upgraded from RedHat 6.1 to 6.2. It has seriously broken
> >scripts which run lynx from crontab. Running these scripts from a login
> >shell work just fine. And running these jobs from crontab on 6.1 work
> >fine.
> >
> >When I run these jobs from crontab on RedHat 6.2 I get a message
> >"Your terminal lacks the ability to clear the screen or position the
> >cursor."
> >
> >This is the same exact "lynx -dump" script that I've been using for the
> >last three+ years and three+ linuxes.
> >
> >I've tried "lynx -dump -term=vt100 $URL" but that doesn't seem to help at
> >all. At this point, I am at a loss.
> >
> >If anyone knows how to get lynx and crontab happy with redhat, i'd love to
> >hear it.
>
>      Odd.  I just tried it (without '-term') on a RedHat 7 system
>      and it ran flawlessly.  I would be concerned that forcing VT100
>      emulation would lead to VT100 characters in your output file,
>      which could muck up any parsing or post-processing that your
>      script does.  Have you thought about maybe using `wget` ?  I
>      know it doesn't strip HTML codes the way lynx does, but it's
>      pretty nice.  I use it in scripts to monitor logfiles and
>      check the local temperature every hour.  And it's purely a
>      command-line program, so your termcap problems would be
>      solved.
>
>PaulM

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the information. I've never used wget but I will certainly give
it a look. Just for the record, I found the solution to my problem. I've
added a terminal definition to my crontab. The first line of my crontab now
reads TERM=vt100. Strange. Guess I have a thing or two to learn about
crontab ;-)

Thanks again for the feedback.