databases, optimization and open source

Edward Glowacki glowack2@msu.edu
Thu, 22 Mar 2001 16:34:19 -0500

On Thu, Mar 22, 2001 at 04:16:23PM -0500, Mark Szidik wrote:
> This makes me think that large, complex open-source projects still end
> up with priesthood of the very few who really grok the project.
>
> It would have to be a really big itch for most of us to tackle something
> like Mozilla or Open Office!
>
> But it sure is nice to have the option.

Hey, you wanna help me fix Mozilla?  I'll get us started, you fill
in where I leave off, OK?

int main(int argc,char **argv) {

    /* Begin: SzidikCode (TM) */

    /* Fetch and render web pages here */

    /* End: SzidikCode (TM) */

    exit(0);
}

Or to more accurately reproduce the way Mozilla behaves,

int main(int argc,char **argv) {
    kill(getpid(),SIGSEGV);
    exit(0); /* If we get here, there was an error, exit fast! */
}

NOTE: We actually had to write a program like this for CSE 410!
Here's a quote from the handout for the lab:

"Next, lets write a suicidal program (sounds like fun, doesn't it?)  This
program should send itself a SIGKILL signal.
Write the main part of your program here (it should only be 2 lines):"

http://www.cse.msu.edu/~cse410/Labs/Lab03/worksheet.txt

EJG

--
Edward Glowacki			glowack2@msu.edu