databases, optimization and open source

Mark Szidik szidikm@mlc.lib.mi.us
Thu, 22 Mar 2001 16:16:23 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 22 Mar 2001, Edward Glowacki wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 22, 2001 at 04:02:49PM -0500, Mark Szidik wrote:
> > happens with commercial software.  I think this is yet another reason to
> > use open-source products:  If something doesn't work in an open-source
> > package, you can always change it.
>
> Assuming the package is small enough to understand and change.  I'd
> love to fix some bugs in Mozilla, but there's not a snowball's chance
> in hell I'll ever find what I'm looking for, let alone understand
> the source enough to fix it... ;)  Of course, it's not like Mozilla
> crashes on me every day or anything, no, never... =)

Good point.
<Thinking of your argument in ESR's Cathedral & Bazaar frame of mind>

This makes me think that large, complex open-source projects still end
up with priesthood of the very few who really grok the project.

It would have to be a really big itch for most of us to tackle something
like Mozilla or Open Office!

But it sure is nice to have the option.

-Mark