Cygwin/XFree86 now runs on Windows 95/98/Me

Harold Hunt huntharo@msu.edu
Wed, 28 Mar 2001 22:29:37 -0500

Almost four months ago I announced on this list that I was working on a port
of XFree86 to Cygwin running on Windows; at that time the port only ran on
Windows NT/2000, the colors were messed up, and the performance left
something to be desired.

Last week I started releasing a test series of servers for Cygwin/XFree86
that run on Windows 95/98/Me as well as NT/2000.  The test series server has
correct colors and much better performance.

Best of all: it's free :)

The Cygwin/XFree86 homepage is at:
http://xfree86.cygwin.com

My test servers and source code are downloadable from:
http://www.msu.edu/~huntharo/xwin/shadow/

There is also a User's Guide that documents in detail the steps needed to
install Cygwin/XFree86:
http://sources.redhat.com/cygwin/xfree/docs/howto/cygwin-xfree-ug.html

Saving the best for last, here are some screenshots:
http://www.msu.edu/~huntharo/xwin/shadow/cygwin-xfree86-windows-twm.png (64
kB)
http://www.msu.edu/~huntharo/xwin/shadow/cygwin-xfree86-remote-gnome.png
(121 kB)
http://www.msu.edu/~huntharo/xwin/shadow/cygwin-xfree86-remote-kde.png (320
kB)
http://www.msu.edu/~huntharo/xwin/shadow/cygwin-xfree86-xdcmp-kdm.png (52
kB)

Well, I guess that's it.  I figure that my fellow propeller heads in the
area will be excited about this :)

Let me know what you think of Cygwin/XFree86,

Harold Hunt