installing red hat 7.1

Joshua S. Chulski jchulski@yahoo.com
Fri, 4 May 2001 09:00:53 -0700 (PDT)

Hello,

I am new to this group, and new to linux in general.
I need help, if anybody is willing to give it.

I am trying to get the XFree86 4.0.3-5 --it comes with
red hat--to work with my ATI Radeon 64 VIVO.  However,
the card is not being cooperative.  Since most of you
are probably gurus, you might have some insight.  Here
is what I have done so far.

I installed linux--the red hat distro, but did not
configure the x-server.

I logged in as root and started the Xconfigurator
using --driver radeon.  The program correctly probed
my video card and monitor.  I tested the configration
and it worked.  I them logged out of root and logged
in as a user in order to to see if the configuration
worked.  It did.  SO, then I decided to set up my
modem and all the other whistles and bells my computer
has.  I logged in as root only to have the screen look
nothing like to former gradure that it was only
moments before.

Here is a brief description of what it looked like.
The mouse pointer was a rather larger square, and the
icons on the side looked like shadows.  The background
looks like it was in 256 color mode, ony there are no
colors.

To fix the mouse cursor, I added a Option "sw_cursor"
into the /etc/X11/XConfig-4, only this gave me a mouse
cursor that was unusable--but it looked nice--and no
improvement in my desktop.  Then I added the Option
"nodri" into the same file, only to no avail.

Is there anything else that I might be able to do to
get this thing up and running, besided buying a
different video card?

Thanks,

Joshua