macs

Mike Szumlinski szumlins@pilot.msu.edu
Tue, 08 May 2001 15:10:59 -0400

Umax and PowerComputing used to be the big clones back in the day (circa
'97) but they have since vanished due to loss of clone licensing. The best
places to find out info on macs themselves is at http://www.everymac.com,
and I always just hit eBay to see what the real going rate is for most of
these systems.  Be forewarned...some of these boxes go for a lot more than
what a much faster newer mac would go for.  If he is looking to run a
ProTools/MIDI rig, he probably wants a PowerMac 9500 or a 9600 (6 pci slots)
or a Umax S900 (6 pci slots). Realistically, I'd hit ebay and look for a
Blue&White G3 500 and an expansion chassis for the extra PCI cards if they
are needed. I run a ProTools rig on a system that only has 3 PCI slots, and
it works fine for me.

-Mike

--
|Mike Szumlinski           |