Touch screens

Edward Glowacki glowack2@msu.edu
Tue, 8 May 2001 15:41:16 -0400

What I'm looking for:
8"-10" LCD touchscreen that can be hooked up to a PC (via monitor,
serial port, whatever) to use as a display/input for a car MP3
player.  Color 648x480 would be great, mono at some lower resolution
would probably be acceptable.

The closest thing I've found are the Sharp Mobilon Tripad PV-6000
and the Vandem Clio C1000/1050.  Both of these are basically the
same thing.  WinCE-based, 9.4" VGA touchscreen, PCMCIA slot, modem,
keyboard.  Pretty neat little things, had a chance to play with
one for a few minutes.  The only problem is of course that they
are expensive, around $1000 (though I've been looking on Ebay,
UBid, etc. for them, seem to be about $100-$200 on there when I
look, not sure how much they actually sell for).  For $1000, I
could also get a VGA touchscreen that interfaces via serial port,
a "panel PC" with a built-in touchscreen, and numerous other possible
solutions to my problem.

My question is, with the massively falling prices of LCD's lately,
including things like flat panel monitors and PDA's, why are there
no small, low-end touchscreen LCD displays around?

If you know something I don't, i.e. where to find something that
will work, please let me know! =)

--
Edward Glowacki				glowack2@msu.edu
GLLUG Peon  				http://www.gllug.org