LILO

Paul_Melson@keykertusa.com Paul_Melson@keykertusa.com
Thu, 17 May 2001 09:19:50 -0400

>So my first question is...  When I created the /boot, swap and /root
>partitions during the install, I was not certain what order I created
them
>in...  does this matter?  Should the /boot be the first partition, and if
>it's not does the LILO have troubles finding it?

Nope.  As long as /boot is on /dev/hda, it doesn't matter.  I can be
/dev/hda1 or /dev/hda9, it's really not important.  However, when you
created the partition, you should double-check (w/ fdisk) that whichever
hda# partition /boot resides on is flagged as being bootable.

>If partition position does matter, is there a way to move the partitions
>around once I'm running from a floppy boot?

Not without removing them and recreating them (toasting any existing
data).  But like I said, it really doesn't matter as long as the right
information is in /etc/fstab and /etc/lilo.conf and the partition /boot is
on is bootable.  Also, any time you make changes to lilo.conf or any of
the files on the /boot partition, you must run `lilo` so it can update
your system's MBR.

>Here are the partitions I created in no specific order:
>/boot - 16MB - Linux Native
>swap - 16MB - swap
>/root - 1.8 G - Linux Native (can grow)

Let me go on record as saying your /boot and swap partitions are too
small.  I mean, it CAN work with those sizes, but you run into two
problems.  First, your swap partition should be, bare minimum, twice the
size of your system's total RAM.  Therefore, if you have 256MB of RAM, you
should create a 512MB swap partition.  There are actual algorithms people
use to determine the best-fit size for a system, but this is an easy
rule-of-thumb that you can use.  Anything less will cause system
performance problems.  Second, your /boot partition should be probably
50-100MB.  16MB might be just enough to scrape by, but will leave no space
for you to add new kernels from RedHat's updates site or compile a new
(and larger) kernel yourself.

Hope that helps.

PaulM