LILO

Edward Glowacki glowack2@msu.edu
Thu, 17 May 2001 09:28:27 -0400

Quoted from Clint Thayer on Thu, May 17, 2001 at 08:57:57AM -0400:
> Here are the partitions I created in no specific order:
> /boot - 16MB - Linux Native
> swap - 16MB - swap
> /root - 1.8 G - Linux Native (can grow)

A few comments on this setup:

How much RAM does the machine have?  Generally you'll want around
2x your RAM worth of swap space.  So if you have 64Mb of RAM, you'll
want around 128Mb swap.

I assume you meant to say / instead of /root. / is the root of the
filesystem, /root is the root user's (superuser) home directory,
which doesn't really need to be 1.8Gb.  Unfortunately they both
use the term "root"... =(

I was worried about the "(can grow)" on your filesystem too, but
I decided to check first, and to my surprise there are tools
available to shrink and grow EXT2 filesystems!  Reports indicate
that they're functional and safe, at least as far as I've researched
it (which isn't very far...).  I'm searching some more to see if
it's possible to grow a UFS filesystem under FreeBSD while it is
online and active, which could be very useful for a project here
at work.

--
Edward Glowacki				glowack2@msu.edu
GLLUG Peon  				http://www.gllug.org