@Home installation

SuperNate I am! natem@tir.com
Wed, 3 Oct 101 09:50:55 -0400 (EDT)

> OK, I'm halfway through signing up for AT&T @Home to try it out
> for 3 months, and I'm suddenly scared at all the things it sounds
> like they want to do:
>
> "Have a licensed copy of the original Operating System software
> and/or recovery disk."
> "Pull your machine approximately 3 feet from the wall."
> "Make sure the cable outlet is five feet from the computer."
> "Computer must have only one operating system installed."

it is nothing but crying to demand that you have only one OS installed.
i guess you could make windoze the default boot on the machine so when
the guy turns it on, it's what he sees.  i know that i put windoze
on the machine just for the installation and then never booted to
windoze again.  but the guy saw the windoze and so he left the modem.
they didn't even have to hook it up, they just gave me a sheet with
the ip address, default route and stuff and just ran a cable from the
pole to my living room and went away.  i don't think they held any
delusions as to how long that windoze would stay on the machine, either
since they saw all the linux/solaris/bsd boxes kicking around my house ;)

> Is it enough to just say to the tech, "Get the modem working, I'll
> do my own software, thankyouverymuch?"  Also, as far as buying vs.
> renting a cable modem, they say you can save $10/mo if you provide
> your own modem, does that include the first 3 months at $19.95
> (making them $9.95)?  And did I read the LUG list correctly that
> you just need to run DHCP with a hostname option to connect?

that's fine too.  i didn't use dhcp because i had the actual ip
address, but if it ever changes, i guess i'll have to dhcp.

wow, $10/mo?!  i need to buy a modem.  they are charging me only
$7/mo for modem rental, but even that is a ripoff considering the
price of cable modems these days.
--
nate