debian

Marcel Kunath kunathma@pilot.msu.edu
Wed, 3 Oct 2001 18:38:27 -0400 (EDT)

> "Marcel Kunath" <kunathma@pilot.msu.edu> writes:
>
> > I was giving Debian my first try. I downloaded rescue, root and driver-1 dis
ks.
> > The ones for reiserfs since the drive was already partitioned and reisered.
It
> > booted fine and seemed to see my motherboard davicom ethernet hookup. It
> > reported via rhine driver. Once in the menu it reported no ethernet cards to
 be
> > found. The same with a RTL8139 in the pci slot. NFS install was a no go
> > therefore. I am kind of surprised ftp install is no option. I guess you can
> > install base over NFS and then switch to ftp for the rest?!

I suspect though the idepci disk images won't allow an install to reiser
partition though. Well I give it a try.

> You need to use the idepci disks if you
want to
do a net install. > The "default" disks don't have the net drivers compiled in.

> > So I gave harddisk install a try. I put in my /dev/hdb partitionless ext2 dr
ive
> > with debian tree on it. It saw the drive on boot but it gave me no option to

> > install base from it since it probably requires partitioned drives. SuSE can
 be
> > installed from partitionless drives so I guess I was expecting too much. I
> > suppose I should really get away from using partitionless drives...
>
> It is really quite wacky to not partition your drives.  You save,
> what, one kilobyte?  Why do you insist on not partitioning?

Hey I also save me the time of typing the 1 behind hdb =) haha. Well lesson
learned. I will use the partition table religiously now. But maybe Debian
should add the feature of reading partitionless drives since its possible.