Solaris install howto

Edward Glowacki glowack2@msu.edu
Thu, 11 Oct 2001 11:45:49 -0400

Anyone know of a good HOWTO that would get someone from a Solaris
CD and a pile of hardware to a functional server in a reasonable
amount of time?

I'm working on a disaster recovery plan here for a Solaris-based
tape backup system.  As part of the recovery procedure, Solaris
needs to be installed with a good set of packages for a server and
secured fairly well.  The catch is that we don't know who is going
to be restoring the system.  At a minimum we should consider them
reasonably competant and with at least some amount of Unix background,
though they may not have much experience with Solaris.

I could write one for FreeBSD in about 10 minutes off the top of
my head, but doing the same document for Solaris would take quite
a bit more work, since I'd have to go through an install or two
and write down everything I did... =P  And besides, chances are
someone else has already done this.  But I didn't find much on sun.com,
and Google wasn't very helpful either. =(  Any suggestions would be
welcome.

Thanks! =)
ED

--