Microsoft Bastards

Jason Watson jaywatts@hotmail.com
Thu, 25 Oct 2001 23:15:42 -0400

MSN also doesn't work with Konqueror.  Still works with my hotmail account
though (I'm sending this message from Hotmail using Konqueror).  Wonder how
long that will last.  Guess it's finally time to switch to yahoo or
hushmail.  Are there any free POP3 accounts around?

Jason Watson
jaywatts@hotmail.com

----Original Message Follows----
From: "Tim Schmidt" <computer_holic@hotmail.com>
To: linux-user@egr.msu.edu
Subject: Microsoft Bastards
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 20:34:03
>From linux-user-admin@egr.msu.edu Thu, 25 Oct 2001 13:37:06 -0700
Sender: linux-user-admin@egr.msu.edu

<rant>

It appears that Microsoft is blocking access to the MSN site (kinda the hub
of all of MS's on-line services) from bowsers like Mozilla and Opera.  It
has been established that this blocking is being done based on the browser
identification string alone.

Here's the funny part - Microsoft claims that all of MSN.com is W3C
compliant, and that it's blocking access to browsers that do not fully
support standards.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Mozilla the most
standards compliant browser in the world?  And isn't IE about the least?

It gets better...  MSN is not viewable from Mozilla, but it is viewable from
Netscape 6.0 and 6.1!  There is no functional difference between Netscape
6.1 and Mozilla 0.9.2.1 and yet they deem Netscape suficiantly standards
compliant to view their content and Mozilla not.  *sigh*

Now, before you ask me what the hell I'm wanting to look at MSN from a linux
box for...  It's always a good idea to keep an eye on the competition.  For
that reason alone we should want to be able to view MSN.

Oh well - I'm pretty pissed off at these kind of blatant lock-out tactics,
but I suppose I can take solice in the fact that we must really be pissing
off Microsoft by writing some damn fine software that they can't even think
about embracing and extending.  Thank you Richard Stallman, thank you GPL.

</rant>