OT: Ebay question

Marcel Kunath kunathma@pilot.msu.edu
Wed, 31 Oct 2001 17:23:25 -0500 (EST)

Well I got expereince with this. I been doing international money transfers
for years since I move around a lot. First comment I got to make is that
International->USA transfers work flawlessly. I never had a problem.

I cannot speak about the opposite direction on such a high note. I don't want
to be rude but the general bank teller in the US is totally uneducated when
compared to the more skilled foreign _banker_. Last time I walked into
Flagstar in August asking for information how to transfer money overseas they
looked at me like I was asking for some special task. I would always insist to
ask for the manager first to make sure some college blondie ain't messing up.
Branches usually can't even tell you the exchange rate and have to call their
head offices in det or chi. A real joke. I always use bank routing number in
combination with account number and account name. I have never used the
swift number. Well flagstar in august told me there was a 25 dollar wire
fee. BTW I
love flagstar. By far the most cpaable and efficient bank I used in the usa.

I was quite happy with my last transaction by the msufcu. I needed some money
transferred from the account after I had left the country. I wrote up
everything on a single piece of paper and send it to their head
offices/service dept. It worked perfectly. The account was closed on the date
specified and they notified me overseas of the transaction with a copy.

One last thing I may note is that you can transfer money from the us to foreign
accounts in US dollars or in the foreign currency. Some nations have US dollar
accounts so no exchange is needed. Some people prefer to transfer the money
first and exchange at the destination. I have never done such transfer though
but I know it exists.

Overall I admit it still gives me creaps when doing a transfer. I feel totally
unsatisfied with the service. International money transfers are still uncommon
with the general public even though so many people have connections all over
the world.

 mk