Promise Ultra100TX2 Controllers

Benjamin Minshall minshal1@pilot.msu.edu
Fri, 7 Sep 2001 01:19:20 -0400

Greetings:

I'm having problems with a pair of new shiny Promise Ultra100TX2
IDE controllers.  I have a software raid5 setup with 4 - 40GB
Maxtor drives each one master of it channel.  During intensive
I/O operations (like as the RAID builds) the kernel will
completely lock up.  I've tried this on kernel 2.4.7, 2.4.9, and
2.4.10-pre4 with identical results.  The actual IDE card
chipset/driver is pdc20268.  The lockup is usually preceeded by
the message "spurious 8259A interrupt: IRQ 7" and/or "spurious
8259A interrupt: IRQ 15".

I've tried all sorts of troubleshooting like swapping PCI slots,
testing one card at a time, pulling out all non-essential
hardware (network, etc), letting cards share IRQ's, forcing
seperate IRQ's, probably some more things I'm forgetting.

Has anyone seen anything like this before?  Anyone who's better
at tracing obscure kernel messages?

Thanks for any help.
----

Benjamin Minshall <minshal1@pilot.msu.edu>