making ISO images

Edward Glowacki glowack2@msu.edu
Mon, 10 Sep 2001 16:06:22 -0400

Quoted from Paul_Melson@keykertusa.com on Mon, Sep 10, 2001 at 03:17:15PM -0400:

> >OK, I'm looking to back up my home directory on my machine at work
> >to CDR.  The problem is that my workstation doesn't have a burner,
> >so I need to build the ISO (actually more than one...) on my machine,
> >then copy it over to another machine to actually do the burn.  So
> >I was looking for a tool that would allow me to select a bunch of
> >directories, add up the total space so I know that it will fit on
> >a disc, then make an ISO image with all that data.  I tried xcdroast,
> >gcombust, and koncd, and none of them seemed to work very well for
> >what I was trying to do.
> >
> >Any suggestions on other programs to try?
>
> mkisofs -o backup.iso [path]/* && scp backup.iso
> user@machine.with.cdrw:/path
>
> Doesn't `xcdroast` require that you have mkisofs on your system to run
> properly?

I just posted a new clarification to the list. =)  Basically path/*
(my home directory) contains too much data to fit on a CD.  Some
of it is stuff I don't even want to put on CD (web browser cache,
downloads of software, source code directories with all the object
files, etc), so I need to do it piecemeal.  None of the GUI tools
I've tried are very good at this (you could almost say they suck
royally).

--
Edward Glowacki			glowack2@msu.edu
Michigan State University