making ISO images

Edward Glowacki glowack2@msu.edu
Mon, 10 Sep 2001 16:29:58 -0400

Quoted from Ben Pfaff on Mon, Sep 10, 2001 at 04:12:21PM -0400:
> Edward Glowacki <glowack2@msu.edu> writes:
>
> > I just posted a new clarification to the list. =)  Basically path/*
> > (my home directory) contains too much data to fit on a CD.  Some
> > of it is stuff I don't even want to put on CD (web browser cache,
> > downloads of software, source code directories with all the object
> > files, etc), so I need to do it piecemeal.  None of the GUI tools
> > I've tried are very good at this (you could almost say they suck
> > royally).
>
> This sounds to me a good use for the backup tool that we were
> discussing earlier this summer, the one that understood cvs
> vs. scp vs. rsync vs. whatever.  Just define a new class of
> backup and add a feature that accumulates file and directory
> sizes as it goes and selects an appropriate breakpoint for
> volumes, then automatically issues the proper mkisofs commands
> and copies the images to whatever machine wants them.

Of course this should be integrated with my filemanager!  Heheh!

Actually it does kinda go with the VFS stuff I was talking about.
It would be good if the filemanager recognized when you change to
a directory that's part of CVS, and then presented the option to
change the view from "filename, size, date/time" to "filename,
revision, last modification date" or something like that.  Or if
you hit enter on an email box, it would bring up a list of messages
"date, sender, subject" or something.

Hmmm... maybe I should write up all this stuff in detail and see
if anyone is interested in helping build it.

--
Edward Glowacki			glowack2@msu.edu
Michigan State University