books

Matt Graham danceswithcrows@usa.net
11 Sep 2001 15:03:33 EDT

Mark Szidik <szidikm@mlc.lib.mi.us> wrote:

> About.

O'Reilly's _Running Linux_, by Matt Walsh, of course.
Distro-independent.  Too bad the newest version is 4+ months behind the
current distros.  _Unix in a Nutshell_ is also a handy reference.
O'Reilly's Samba book explains how to integrate a Linux fileserver into
a 'Doze environment in mind-numbing detail.

I read a couple of issuse of the "Linux Journal" magazine some time
ago...  they tried to include something for everyone from the raw newbie
to the reasonably experienced admin.  Don't know how well it worked out
for the magazine in general, but I learned a few things from the issues
I read.

The problem with books is that the system as a whole is evolving pretty
quickly, and a book published 1.5 years ago is obsolete.  (Anyone want a
2nd Edition of _Running Linux_?  Great section on KDE 1.1.2!)  CoC types
probably won't like it, but the best source of info on the system is the
Net.  I'm sure you have a forest of good URLs already.

Any book on general Unix will be relevant to Linux in some ways

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows
"I backed up my brain to tape, but tar says the tape contains no data...."