PHP navigation experiment

Edward Glowacki glowack2@msu.edu
Wed, 12 Sep 2001 12:51:04 -0400

For my TC class we have to do an online web-based "design diary"
to track our thoughts as we go through the semester.  I used mine
as an excuse to work on automatically generating navigation links
for moving around a site.  The system I ended up with isn't perfect,
but it does in fact automatically generate all the navigation for
the site and it's very easy to add new topics (especially with a
very simple shell alias), so I can focus on the content.  Automatically
generated navigation includes:

- Breadcrumbs at the top of every page (modified from someone else's
code)
- A list of sub-topics on the upper-left side of every page
- A sitemap (this one is a separate page)

It also uses a template so that all pages look the same, and CSS
for managing the look of various elements, so it should be fairly
customizable, at least within that framework.

My content still needs some work, but if you're interested, take
a look and let me know what you think, I'd really appreciate the
feedback, specifically on how easy it is to move around the site.
The URL is:

http://zelda.cl.msu.edu/~glowack2/class/TC_840

(actually everything under ~glowack2 should now have this system
in place, though that's basically just the TC_840 site right now...)

--
Edward Glowacki			glowack2@msu.edu
Michigan State University