dhcpd

Mike Rambo mrambo@lsd.k12.mi.us
Fri, 21 Sep 2001 07:47:31 -0400

Marcel Kunath wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I set up a dhcp server and it works. Is there any way to assign to
> clients(win98 and Linux) the hostname by use of the dhcp server?
>
> One can use samba to sync the clock of clients with the server. Is there a way
> to sync a Linux client's clock with server clock?
>
> Thanks,
>  -- Marcel Kunath

I assume you're using dhpcd from isc.org(?). If so, it would appear that
the 'use-host-decl-names' option might do what you're looking to do. I
wasn't really aware of this feature, and so have never tried it to see
what it actually does, but the man page "man dhcpd.conf" makes it look
promising. Version 3 of ISC's dhcp server, in conjunction with bind,
does indeed do dynamic dns as Sean suggested (and it works quite well I
might add) but the way the question is phrased makes it sound more like
you want to assign the clients hostname itself from the dhcp server by
MAC address rather than an automatic DNS update.

I suspect the willingness of the client to receive host names from the
dhcp server will also be an issue (if indeed this is what you're trying
to accomplish). Maybe I'm too much of a neophyte - but I didn't know
this could be done.

Hope this helps.

--
Mike Rambo