[GLLUG] root access

Matt Fuerst fuerstma@msu.edu
Wed, 10 Apr 2002 21:36:11 -0400

Greetings all,

I have been a big fan of creating specific root level accounts for each user
that really needs them. For example, with my login name of fuerstma, I
usually create a Rfuerstma user that has root level access.

I usually accomplished this by using the /usr/sbin/useradd command adding
the user with the group ID of 0, and making the home directory the same as
my fuerstma directory. This always worked great. I could "su Rfuerstma" and
login with root priviledges, and still work in my main directory and all
that fun stuff.

I just loaded a machine with RedHat 7.2, and this isn't working. I add my
user and then "su Rfuerstma", and I obviously do NOT have root privileges. I
looked at /etc/passwd and the Rfuerstma user is indeed a member of group 0.

Did RedHat do something between 7.1 and 7.2 that changed all that fun stuff?
Is there a better way to do this? It's nice since I can give all the admin
type people an Rusername account and just delete that when they no longer
need it as opposed to changing the actual root password....

Thanks in advance!

Matt Fuerst