[GLLUG] root access

Adam McDougall mcdouga9@egr.msu.edu
Wed, 10 Apr 2002 21:41:40 -0400

You need to make the UID 0, not GID.  You probably need to edit
the password file (properly) to do this.

On Wed, Apr 10, 2002 at 09:36:11PM -0400, Matt Fuerst wrote:

  Greetings all,

  I have been a big fan of creating specific root level accounts for each user
  that really needs them. For example, with my login name of fuerstma, I
  usually create a Rfuerstma user that has root level access.

  I usually accomplished this by using the /usr/sbin/useradd command adding
  the user with the group ID of 0, and making the home directory the same as
  my fuerstma directory. This always worked great. I could "su Rfuerstma" and
  login with root priviledges, and still work in my main directory and all
  that fun stuff.

  I just loaded a machine with RedHat 7.2, and this isn't working. I add my
  user and then "su Rfuerstma", and I obviously do NOT have root privileges. I
  looked at /etc/passwd and the Rfuerstma user is indeed a member of group 0.

  Did RedHat do something between 7.1 and 7.2 that changed all that fun stuff?
  Is there a better way to do this? It's nice since I can give all the admin
  type people an Rusername account and just delete that when they no longer
  need it as opposed to changing the actual root password....

  Thanks in advance!

  Matt Fuerst