[GLLUG] Debian Install woes

Don Chorman damedged@attbi.com
Wed, 17 Apr 2002 22:45:45 -0400

I tried to install debian last night, and I could not install LILO. During
the install, everything appeared to go O.K., until I made it to the point of
installing a boot loader. I installed on hd9 /swap, and hd8 /ext2, of a 40GB
drive. According to the documentation, the boot loader has to be installed
in the first 512mb (not sure on exact size), of the drive.
     Since I have Win98 installed on the first 20 GB,  I can kind of
comprehend that this would limit me as to where I can install LILO. However,
I tried to install to the MBR, and this "failed". I also tried to create a
boot disk, which also failed. (I tried a few disks, that were not write
protected..etc.)    If I could, I would prefer to boot Debian from a floppy,
unless of course I can choose which OS to load, from within LILO. I am not
sure if LILO can choose what OS to boot. Any ideas as to what is the
culprit, and how to fix this?

Thank you,

Don Chorman