[GLLUG] Debian 2.2r6 and nvidia video card

Dpk dpk@egr.msu.edu
Thu, 18 Apr 2002 08:45:48 -0400

On Wed, Apr 17, 2002 at 10:58:34PM -0500, Matt Graham wrote:

   On Wednesday 17 April 2002 21:45, Don Chorman wrote:
   > I would like to use NVidia's drivers for a geforce II video card that
   > I have. I went to NV's website, and they do provide linux drivers and
   > docs. Most of the drivers are RPM's for Redhat, and Suse. They said
   > that if you don't have the RH or Suse distro's, then you can build
   > the module. Has anyone on the list been able to use NV's drivers with
   > debian?

   First, you need to be running X 4.something.  Normally, this would
   be the case, but if you're running Debian "stable", you're using
   truly ancient stuff for the most part.  If you're not running X
   4.something, forget using the evil nVidia module, it won't work
   with X 3.3.6.

   The source tarballs are completely distro-independent.  Get the
   source tarballs (they're at the very bottom of the Linux page on
   nVidia's site) and the README, then follow the directions in said
   README.  There are 2 tarballs, NVIDIA_kernel and NVIDIA_GLX.  You
   need to rebuild the NVIDIA_kernel one every time you start using a
   different kernel.

Actually, you can get X 4 packages for potato by adding the following
to your apt/sources.list:

deb http://people.debian.org/~cpbotha/ xf410_potato/$(ARCH)/
deb http://people.debian.org/~cpbotha/ xf410_potato/all/

I have used this without problem when it was necessary to run stable
but have updated an X server.

Dennis