[GLLUG] Debian 2.2r6 and nvidia video card

Matt Graham danceswithcrows@usa.net
Wed, 17 Apr 2002 22:58:34 -0500

On Wednesday 17 April 2002 21:45, Don Chorman wrote:
> I would like to use NVidia's drivers for a geforce II video card that
> I have. I went to NV's website, and they do provide linux drivers and
> docs. Most of the drivers are RPM's for Redhat, and Suse. They said
> that if you don't have the RH or Suse distro's, then you can build
> the module. Has anyone on the list been able to use NV's drivers with
> debian?

First, you need to be running X 4.something.  Normally, this would be
the case, but if you're running Debian "stable", you're using truly
ancient stuff for the most part.  If you're not running X 4.something,
forget using the evil nVidia module, it won't work with X 3.3.6.

The source tarballs are completely distro-independent.  Get the source
tarballs (they're at the very bottom of the Linux page on nVidia's
site) and the README, then follow the directions in said README.  There
are 2 tarballs, NVIDIA_kernel and NVIDIA_GLX.  You need to rebuild the
NVIDIA_kernel one every time you start using a different kernel.

You also need to edit /etc/X11/XF86Config .  This is documented in the
README file, not too tough to do, just replace the line
   Driver "nv"
with
   Driver "nvidia"
and it should work.

Note that your card *must* have an IRQ assigned to it.  This is usually
the case in a stock x86 BIOS configuration, but if you've changed
things around, it might not be.

--
   Last guys don't finish nice.
   -- Stanley Kelley, on the cult of victory at all costs