[GLLUG] help installing imap

Felicia Berryman felicia@lon-capa.org
Fri, 19 Apr 2002 18:57:28 -0400

Hello,

I'm trying to get imap running on a Red Hat 7.2 server and I'm not
having any luck with it.  I installed it from rpm, used ntsysv to enable
imap, and used the command "service xinetd restart".  When I try to
connect to the machine with Netscape communicator to get my mail, it
won't connect.  However, it appears as if something is working because I
enabled telnet for a bit and did this:

[felicia@MACHINE felicia]$ telnet MACHINE 143
Trying 35.8....
Connected to MACHINE.
Escape character is '^]'.
* OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4 IMAP4REV1 STARTTLS LOGIN-REFERRALS AUTH=LOGIN]
MACHINE IMAP4rev1 2000.287rh at Fri, 19 Apr 2002 17:26:19 -0400 (EDT)
. logout
* BYE MACHINE IMAP4rev1 server terminating connection
. OK LOGOUT completed
Connection closed by foreign host.

Any hints at all?  I also tried adding the line "enabled  = imap" to
xinetd.conf, but that didn't help either.  I have this hope that I'm
just missing something really simple, like starting the imap daemon.
>From what I gath

In case you need to know this:

$ uname -a
Linux MACHINE 2.4.7-10smp #1 SMP Thu Sep 6 17:09:31 EDT 2001 i686
unknown
$ rpm -q imap
imap-2000c-15

Felicia