[GLLUG] help installing imap

Mike Rambo mrambo@lsd.k12.mi.us
Mon, 22 Apr 2002 14:07:00 -0400

Felicia Berryman wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to get imap running on a Red Hat 7.2 server and I'm not
> having any luck with it.  I installed it from rpm, used ntsysv to enable
> imap, and used the command "service xinetd restart".  When I try to

<snip>

> Any hints at all?  I also tried adding the line "enabled  = imap" to
> xinetd.conf, but that didn't help either.  I have this hope that I'm

I think you need something more than the above line - in
fact that line probably shouldn't be in xinetd.conf. I think
you need an /etc/xinetd.d/imap file with something like
this:

[mrambo@mrambo xinetd.d]$ more /etc/xinetd.d/imap
# default: off
access their mail using \
#              an IMAP client such as Mutt, Pine, fetchmail,
or Netscape \
#              Communicator.
service imap
{
        socket_type             = stream
        wait                    = no
        user                    = root
        server                  = /usr/sbin/imapd
        log_on_success          += DURATION USERID
        log_on_failure          += USERID
        disable                 = no
}

Your xinetd.conf file should already have an include at the
bottom which will include all the files in the /etc/xinetd.d
directory. Only after this file (/etc/xinetd.d/imap) is in
place should you be able to do '/sbin/service xinetd
restart' and have it work. You also might want to try
'/sbin/chkconfig --list' and see how the system thinks
things are configured. When set up correct imap should show
up at the bottom of the list with a yes/no pertaining to
it's operating status. If ever you want to shut down the
service just change the 'disable' to 'yes' and restart
xinetd.

Hope this helps.

--
Mike Rambo