[GLLUG] Possible future meeting junk

Matt Graham danceswithcrows@usa.net
Tue, 23 Apr 2002 14:36:27 -0500

It seems like we've been getting pretty high turnout at the last few
GLLUG meetings.  This is good, but I'm wondering is the current
structure is really the best use of everybody's time... it's gone like
so:

1.  Introductions
2.  Food
3.  Free-form discussions of various topics with everybody in the room
4.  Presentation, if one is scheduled
5.  More free-form discussion, until meeting's over

Would people like it better if things went like so?

1.  Introductions
2.  Food
3.  Presentation, if we have one
4.  Break into smaller groups, maybe like so:
    * "BSD roundtable" Q&A with Ed and other BSD users, for those who
are BSD-curious
    * "Linux troubleshooting" session for people who have just
installed a distro, are feeling lost, or have problems with getting
certain hardware to work
    * "Ask the Networking Wizards" for people who are having network
problems or just want to learn more about ipchains/iptables
    * "General discussion" just like previous
    * "vi vs. emacs:  10-round deathmatch" --er, maybe not....

Main problem I see is that there probably aren't enough free rooms at
AAI for this sort of thing.

5.  Wrap up with more general discussion/administrivia with everybody
in the same room

Just a thought, since free-form discussion can get unwieldly if there
are ~30 people in the same room--harder to get everybody's voice heard,
etc.  Let everybody know what you think....

--
   "Ladies and gentleBOFHs, I appear to have found an idiot trap."
   "Now the world will beat a path to your door.  Where 90% of it will