[GLLUG] My recruitment efforts

Matt Graham danceswithcrows@usa.net
Thu, 25 Apr 2002 16:23:08 -0500

On Thursday 25 April 2002 14:29, Karen Ueberroth wrote:
> Thanks, guys, for your enthusiasm for this project.
>
> This is the original message I sent to the webmaster......
>
>      I'm looking for an actual LINUX user to talk to
>      my students about the OS and applications developed for it.  I
>      have never used LINUX or UNIX and want to give my students the
>      benefits derived from contact with an actual user.
>
>      I teach on Thursdays and Fridays and could use a speaker on
>      May 23rd, 30th and/or 31st.  Can anyone help me?

I could probably help out too.  What's the time frame?  (50 minutes,
1.5 hours?)  What's the time of day?  I can probably bring a desktop
and a laptop (maybe 2 laptops) with lots of interesting/useful Linux
GUI applications installed (KDE3, Xaos Fractal Explorer, all the server
stuff, video player Mplayer, xmms with lots of plugins for audio,
etcetera...) along to give students some machines to play with.

Also, if there's anything more specific you'd like the presenters to
talk about, it'd be a good idea to mention it.  I guess since the
course is about operating systems, it might be a good idea to talk
about the "everything is a file" Unix Way and what that can do for the
user, maybe also Unix's security model and how it differs from
Windows/MacOS's security models... possibly get some input from the
students about what they'd like to know a week or so beforehand,
so the presenters can prepare stuff.

--
   What the world *really* needs is a good Automatic Bicycle Sharpener.