[GLLUG] My recruitment efforts

Matt Graham danceswithcrows@usa.net
Fri, 26 Apr 2002 14:21:48 -0500

On Sunday 26 May 2002 11:29, Jane DeBano wrote:
> Sorry, it was actually Jane DeBano sending the message.  Clicking on
> the link got me into Netscape (dreck) with Karen's return address.
> She's the lead Instructor for the CIT program.

Oops.  (Multi-user machines can be a bit annoying sometimes...)

> I've got from 3 to 6 hours to fill or any portion thereof.  So far,
> Our textbook covers the above theory as it regards UNIX/LINUX.

OK, memory/processor management are the responsibility of the Unix
kernel.  On an x86, the kernel uses the processor's protected mode to
make each user-level process have its own address space.  The kernel
(in its "stock" mode, without the patches for huge amounts of memory)
uses a 32-bit address space, 3G of that is for user processes, 1G of
that is for the kernel itself.  Processes can share segments of memory.

Processor management... The kernel divides time up into timeslices, and
every time the timer interrupt fires, the kernel checks its scheduler,
which determines which process gets to use the processor next.
Processes get timeslices based on their priority--normal user processes
are at priority 0 (normal) and the superuser (root) can use "nice" to
increase the priority of a process, up to -20 (extremely high
priority.)  Users can "nice" a process and decrease its priority down
to 20 (extremely low priority) meaning the process will get fewer
timeslices.  Things that take lots of CPU time (running the compiler)
are typically niced to priority 10, so they don't interfere with the
users' normal applications too much.  Some people set the X server (the
thing that handles all the graphics) priority at -10, so it will
respond faster.

Device management:  Everything is a file, including all the devices
attached to the system.  So the hard drive that's master on the first
IDE controller is /dev/hda , the first partition on that hard drive is
/dev/hda1 , etc.  Access to the devices is controlled by standard Unix
user and group permissions.  There are 2 types of devices, "block", and
"character".

File management:  Typical Linux systems don't store very much metadata
with the files.  Every file is a single stream of data, unlike MacOS
which has "resource forks", or WinNT, which can associate metadata with
a file but usually doesn't.  Each file has a set of permissions
associated with it, "special", "read", "write", and "execute", and is
owned by a user and a group.

> What
> I'm looking from a guest speaker is why you are using Linux.  Why are
> you pumped abut Linux?

I'm using it because it's *fun*.  (Yeah, some people have fun in weird
ways....)

> What are it's advantages/disadvantages?  What
> can you do with Linux that DOS and Windows can't do?

The main advantages are:

Almost everything that makes up a Linux distro is Open (free as in
speech), meaning anybody can look at the code and see how the
professionals and überhackers did things.  This helps those who want to
do programming, since it gives them a huge base of code to look at and
get ideas from.  Also, if there's a bug somewhere, a programmer can
look at the code, figure out where the bug is, and fix it, without
waiting for the vendor to do it.  (This makes fixing bugs faster and
should improve software quality.)

Also, almost everything in a Linux distro is Free (free as in beer),
meaning you can legally redistribute the distro.  One set of Redhat CDs
can be used to install Redhat Linux on 1 or 1000 machines--no garbage
about per-seat licensing.  Also, you can get copies of most distros for
very little money, or for $0.00 if you have a Linux-using friend.

> What applications are most used in Linux?

Depends on the user, really.

> How widespread is its use?

Nobody really knows.  The Linux Counter counts about 300,000 registered
users, but the number of actual Linux users is probably 2 to 10 times
higher.  The number of people who use another OS on their desktops but
depend on Linux firewalls/fileservers/webservers/database servers on
the backend is very large.

> Will it come to dominate the world?

Maybe.

> Enthusiasm and
> some nifty demo's plus info on how to get, setup and use Linux would
> probably substitute for hands-on if it's not feasible to put Linux on
> our machines.  As I said in a previous message, we have 20 student
> computers with a double boot option on Windows 2000 and Win98, so I
> don't think we could boot from a CD.

?  Why not?  Well, they'd have to change a setting in the BIOS, but
that's it.  I can understand if you don't want to wipe out the previous
installations of whatever, but there are a number of "live filesystem
CDs" that you can use.  SuSE has one available--you boot from the CD,
and it loads a small root filesystem into RAM, then grabs everything
else it needs from the CD.  IIRC, it creates 3 small files on the hard
disk that can be deleted after you're done running the live CD.  It's
very similar to running a real Linux system, just slower.

> Boot from a floppy, yes. Can you create a bootable system floppy in
> LInux?

http://www.toms.net/rb/ for a very popular and useful miniature Linux
distro that fits on a floppy.  It's very stripped-down, but still
powerful.  No GUI, just command-line.  There are other miniature
distros around, but these tend to be optimized for a specific purpose,
like Coyote Linux (turn an old 486 into a good firewall with 1 floppy).

Problem is, using these miniature distros is not really for the new
user.  It'd be best to use the live filesystem CDs or have some people
bring in already-working Linux machines for the students to bang on, I
think.

--
   First they came for the verbs, and I said nothing because verbing
   weirds language.  Then they arrival for the nouns, and I speech