[GLLUG] RHN... the Red Hat Notwork

Edward Glowacki glowack2@msu.edu
01 Aug 2002 13:50:53 -0400

I discovered today that you can only update the software for one RedHat
machine at a time!  Apparently, unless you pay, the up2date updater will
only work on the single machine that you have enabled via the website,
and if you aren't a paying customer, you can't do any updates during
time of heavy load (like right now, *grumble*).  Since I just installed
a new RH7.3 server, I want to get the latest security updates so some
31337 h4x0r doesn't get a free shot to r00t my box.  But alas I
cannot... I'm not about to start setting up servers if I can't easily
update the software at any time I may choose, so I guess we'll take a
look at Debian and see if we can fare any better... Looks like 3.0 just
came out and supposedly supports the RAID card on one of the boot
floppies, so we'll try that and see...

-ED

--
Edward Glowacki				glowack2@msu.edu