[GLLUG] Socket A CPU

Edward Glowacki glowack2@msu.edu
Thu, 1 Aug 2002 21:56:50 -0400

Thanks to all of you that offered to share your hardware with me for testing.
I ended up working with Jeff Utter, and within about 5 minutes (including
disassembling everything) we determined that my CPU was fried.  We were just
starting to test his Duron 700 in my motherboard when magically a Thunderbird
950 appeared.  It came in the doorway and landed softly in Jeff's hand.
Literally.  Through the most impressive timing I've ever seen, one of Jeff's
friends dropped by at exactly that moment with his old CPU (having just
upgraded).  Some quick bartering resulted in Jeff upgrading his Duron 700 to an
Athlon 950, while my Athlon 800 got downgraded to a Duron 700.  The good news
is I walked out the door with a functional machine once again.  And we all
lived happily ever after (at least so far).

On a side note, the first time I powered it up after I got home, it didn't
work...  Dunno what the problem was, but after reseating some stuff, it all
came up fine. =)

Thanks again everybody, and Jeff especially!

-ED

--
Edward Glowacki
glowack2@msu.edu