[GLLUG] Socket A CPU

Ben Pfaff blp@cs.stanford.edu
01 Aug 2002 19:02:32 -0700

Edward Glowacki <glowack2@msu.edu> writes:

> Thanks to all of you that offered to share your hardware with
> me for testing.  I ended up working with Jeff Utter, and within
> about 5 minutes (including disassembling everything) we
> determined that my CPU was fried.  We were just starting to
> test his Duron 700 in my motherboard when magically a
> Thunderbird 950 appeared.  It came in the doorway and landed
> softly in Jeff's hand.  Literally.  Through the most impressive
> timing I've ever seen, one of Jeff's friends dropped by at
> exactly that moment with his old CPU (having just upgraded).

That's wonderful.  The only episode I have that comes close was
back when I was living in the dorms at MSU.  Some guy from down
the call walks into my room when I'm working on something at the
computer.  He asks if I know where he can get an Ethernet card to
swap for his, to see whether the problem is his card or his
computer or whatever.  I absentmindedly muttered "sure" and,
without looking away from the screen, opened up a desk drawer and
pulled out a PCI Ethernet card in an anti-static bag and handed
it to him.  His eyes just about bugged out of his head...

--
"...dans ce pays-ci il est bon de tuer de temps en temps un amiral
 pour encourager les autres."