[GLLUG] [OT]HTML includes

David Lee Lambert lamber45@egr.msu.edu
Fri, 2 Aug 2002 12:09:33 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 29 Jul 2002, Michael R Szumlinski wrote:

> Does anyone know if there is a way to do includes using just html.  I would
> like to include a header and footer that can be dynamic across a sight, but
> I don't want to use a server side scripting language to do it so that the code
> is portable to from asp to php in the future. Any ideas?

If you have a shell-account, or if you're building the files on your own
computer and then uploading them,  just write a perl script and makefile
to add the footer to all your files.  I have an example I could send you
if you'd like that actually edits the HTML in-place,  but you could also
use the source/object model.  At any rate,  you would be making the site
much faster at a slight expense of space.

Actually,  PHP supports some of the same syntax as ASP,  so you might be
able to write simple code that would work in either system.

--
DLL