[GLLUG] Zaurus questions...

Jo Dillon jo@groupinfo.com
Mon, 5 Aug 2002 13:17:21 -0400

On 5 Aug 2002 at 12:59, Matt Graham wrote:

> I finally broke down and bought a Zaurus.  It looks really nice, still

  Ooh, I want to see it :) I wrote part of the software for those things but sadly never got one to play with.

> having a bit of trouble with the handwriting recognition but that'll
> clear up after I've practiced more.  Haven't tried syncing it yet,
> since the Qtopia Desktop package for Linux doesn't actually have
> installation instructions (just INSTALL_WIN32.TXT, though the files in
> the tarball are Linux executables and shared libraries.)  I've
> compiled the usbdnet module and it appears to work.
>
> One reason I bought this was so that I could put files from Project
> Gutenberg on it, so I'd have a reasonably large library in something
> much smaller than a paperback book.  Also, I've got documentation for
> a variety of things in HTML format, and I'd like to be able to browse
> that in the included Opera browser or something.  Unfortunately, the
> unit behaves like a total pig when I ask Opera to load a 400K HTML
> document with simple formatting (<P>, <B>, <H1> through <H3>, <I>, a
> few <a href=> , etcetera.)  It takes Opera 5 to 10 seconds to scroll
> down 1 screenwidth, and over a minute to load the document in the
> first place.

  The Opera core source code is the same for desktop and embedded Qt, so there's no 'embedded Opera'
limitation on large documents. The Opera source code is also fairly evil, though, and you're running it on a
slower CPU (yes, it's clocked at 200MHz or so - but it's single-issue rather than superscalar, has much less in
the way of cache and is connected to slower RAM; it might only be comparable to, say, a 100MHz 486 if that).

> Yes, I know this handheld is not going to be super-fast, but it should
> surely work better than that... right?  The 400K document in question
> was on a CF card, which is much slower than the unit's RAM, but this
> document should've been loaded into the disk cache (which was ~10M at
> that time) immediately.  Is it that this embedded Opera can't handle

  How do you mean? Was it just as slow on the second opening?

> large documents very well, or is there some really obvious thing I
> should be doing here?  (Or an HTML/text viewer that's lighter than
> Opera?)

  Lynx....