[GLLUG] Zaurus questions...

Matt Graham danceswithcrows@usa.net
Mon, 5 Aug 2002 20:29:18 -0400

On Monday 05 August 2002 14:10, after a long battle with technology,
Mark Szidik wrote:
> I have a Zaurus too.  If you get that Qtopia desktop for Linux
> figured out please let me know.  I would love to sync on Linux.

OK, the problem that I had was a bit odd.  Anyway, here's what I did to
get it working:

First, make sure you have the usbdnet module available.  This comes with
very recent kernels, or there's a patch you have to apply for kernels
2.4.16 through 2.4.18.  Load the module.  There's a guide to this whole
megillah at

http://www.zauruszone.farplanet.net/howtos/
linux_ethernet-over-usb-howto.shtml

...since getting everything working "automatically" involves a few
adjustments to files in /etc/hotplug/ .

Get the tarball from ftp://ftp.trolltech.com/qtopia .  Unpack the
tarball somewhere, probably in ~ .  You'll see that there are some
libraries included with the tarball.  Take these libraries and put them
somewhere, like /usr/local/lib .  Then:

cd /usr/local/lib
ln -s librsync.so.1 librsync.so.1.0.0
ln -s libpalmtopcenter.so.1 libpalmtopcenter.so.1.0.0
ln -s libqt.so.3 libqt.so.3.0.3

WARNING:  libqt.so.3 is used by a lot of KDE3 applications.  There is
probably another version, libqt.so.3.0.0 , hiding somewhere.  You might
want to get rid of it and put this new one in its place (it's backwards
combatible.)

They need an installer script for this thing.  It's a simple series of
operations, but it's confusing enough to put a newbie off his feed and
puzzle an experienced Linux person for ~10 minutes.

You may want to remove or rename ~/.palmdesktop , since qtopiadesktop
will take over that directory, and if old files remain in there,
qtopiadesktop could get confused and barf.

Once you have all those things done, plug the cradle into your USB port,
then plug the Zaurus into the cradle.  You should hear a beep or 2 as
hotplug does its thing.  If you do "ifconfig" you should see something
called "usb0" with an IP of 192.168.129.200 .  You should be able to
ping 192.168.129.201 (default IP for the Zaurus).

Then start qtopiadesktop (in an xterm/konsole the first time, since if
any errors show up, you want to see them!).  Press the "sync" button in
the interface.  ZAP!  Pretty nifty.  (Now, all I have to do is create a
"contact list"...)

--
   The night passed like a kidney stone: painfully and with the help of
   major sedatives.   --T. Delgado, Lyttle Lytton winner, 2001