[GLLUG] Recompiling problem

Matt Graham danceswithcrows@usa.net
Fri, 23 Aug 2002 15:26:19 -0400

On Friday 23 August 2002 14:45, after a long battle with technology,
Michael Harrington wrote in a private message to
danceswithcrows@usa...:

Tech-support questions that start on a mailing list (or Usenet) should
remain there unless they stray offtopic.  The whole point of these
lists/Usenet is so that more people can look at the messages and
suggest things to try and/or point out mistakes.

> dmseg shows that /dev/hdb is my dvd drive.  I was following
> instructions by a forensic guy that works for Redhat.  Does that
> ide-cd exist in ata/ide support under menu config.

ATA/IDE/MFM/RLL support->IDE, ATA and ATAPI Block devices->include
IDE/ATAPI CDROM support is the place.  It should be "M", but if it's "Y"
that'll work too.

> If it is enabled
> by default then I didn't changes it and the iinstructions don't
> indicate going into there...

Don't know for sure how Redhat does this, but SuSE sets this option to
"Y" by default.

> Is there a way to examine the default kernel
> that was built when I installed Redhat so I can make a guess at where
> my problem lies?

If /proc/config.gz exists, you can examine the configuration of the
currently running kernel by doing "gunzip /proc/config.gz | less".  All
kernels built by distros should have this enabled now.  This is under
Filesystems->/proc/config.gz .  I think this feature was new in 2.4.18.

--
   The night passed like a kidney stone: painfully and with the help of
   major sedatives.   --T. Delgado, Lyttle Lytton winner, 2001