[GLLUG] Recompiling problem

Matt Graham danceswithcrows@usa.net
Fri, 23 Aug 2002 13:56:36 -0400

On Friday 23 August 2002 13:17, after a long battle with technology,
Michael Harrington wrote:
> ok output of ls -l /dev/cdrom:
> /dev/cdrom -> /dev/hdb

/dev/hdb is an IDE device.  That means you need IDE CD-ROM support
compiled into the kernel or as a module.

> output of grep cdrom /etc/fstab
> /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom  iso9600 noauto,owner,kudzu,ro,0,0

Fair enough.

> lsmod:
> ext3 jdb md usb-ohci usbcore

That's it?  What'd you do, compile everything (network card module, FAT
filesystems, sound support...) in statically?  While this will work, it
is not recommended, since this approach makes it difficult to diagnose
and fix problems.  Changing parameters on things that are statically
built typically requires a recompile/re-LILO/reboot, while changing
parameters on things built as modules requires "rmmod FOO ; modprobe
FOO parameter=somethingelse"--much quicker.  The Zaurus doesn't even
use a completely static kernel.

> also trying 'mount -t iso9660 /dev/hbd /mnt/cdrom' also gives me a
> block error.

/dev/hbd does not exist in a typical system, unless you did something
with mknod.  (Check yuor messages carefuly for tyops.)

OK, since the module ide-cd is not loaded, try to modprobe it.  If it
doesn't exist, you'll need to at least go to /usr/src/linux , make
menuconfig , set "IDE CD-ROM support" to "M", make modules && make
modules_install && depmod -a .  *Then* you should be able to modprobe
ide-cd and have things work.

If this device is a CD-RW, the only way you'll get the full monty out of
it is to set it up as an IDE-SCSI device.  Post again if that's the
case, or go to http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search and
search comp.os.linux.hardware for keywords "CD-RW howto".

--
   And I ruthlessly pay as little money as possible for as many french
   fries as I can, thanks to the evil tax dodge known as "Super Sizing."