[GLLUG] email troubles - lsd scnc server

Michael Rambo mrambo@scnc.lsd.k12.mi.us
Tue, 3 Dec 2002 16:29:51 -0500 (EST)

Sorry - I have to cut/paste and type this all into webmail...

Andrew wrote:
>This may be what is happening:
You are trying to send a receipt to a domain that sendmail does not
consider local (munged.net).  As this IP block is not local anymore,
sendmail does not consider it a local domain, which sendmail denies.

munged.net was never local - it is any domain outside of lsd.k12.mi.us -
in this case it was kvc.net but I didn't want to expose a friends email
address on a public list so I 'munged' it.

>This also appears to be the external IP that your firewall is using. You
need to update the DNS settings for munged.net (207.73.232.115), and the
firewall needs to be updated to use the new external IP, instead of
207.73.232.115.

Since munged.net is potentially any domain on the internet I clearly have
no control over that. 207.73.232.115 is in the old IP structure but I
don't know what device it was assigned to. The PIX firewall is at
207.73.196.249 and the scnc server itself is at 207.73.196.250. I'm told
those are the only IP addresses in the old range that we have left. All
others are between 35.12.144.x and 35.12.159.x. The scnc server at
207.73.196.250 _is_ our main DNS server. When queried, it has nothing for
207.73.232.115 and all other queries I can think of result in correct

>It does not matter to the SCNC box what 10.* IP you are using, as it is
invisible to the SCNC box. All it sees is 207.73.232.115 (or the new IP,
if it has been updated). If changing 10.* IPs fixes the problem, it points
to a problem behind or with the firewall.

-ark

I just wish I could figure out where it is. Interestingly, I'm writing
these email using squirrelmail which resides on the same scnc server.
Obviously, it works. That confuses the issue even more.

Mike Rambo