[GLLUG] email troubles - lsd scnc server - WORKING AGAIN

Mike Rambo mrambo@lsd.k12.mi.us
Wed, 04 Dec 2002 07:35:58 -0500

Thanks to all who helped. It is working this morning.

Just as a test I did the telnet to port 25 thing again - it see's me
different now...

[mrambo@mrambo docs]$ telnet scnc.lsd.k12.mi.us 25
Trying 207.73.196.250...
Connected to scnc.lsd.k12.mi.us (207.73.196.250).
Escape character is '^]'.
220 scnc.lsd.k12.mi.us ESMTP Sendmail 8.10.2/8.10.2; Wed, 4 Dec 2002
07:33:22 -0500 (EST)
helo scnc.lsd.k12.mi.us
250 scnc.lsd.k12.mi.us Hello [35.12.144.195], pleased to meet you
                             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I guess I'll never figure out where the problem was and I wish I could.
It has to have been some stale DNS that was cached somewhere and has now
timed out. Our little LAN gets connectivity through Everett HS. All the
high schools have hardware cache engines and cisco 3508/4006
programmable switches/routers which are set up in vlans to isolate
student traffic (and access) from everything else. Yesterday, any
computer using the IP address we used on our outbound card would have
that old IP show up when sending mail. Today a different address comes
up and it's all better - and nobodies changed anything either.

--
Mike Rambo
mrambo@lsd.k12.mi.us