[GLLUG] kdeinit hanging

Brad Fears brad@mtsdev.com
13 Dec 2002 11:14:57 -0500

I'm having trouble starting any of the kde based applications on my
debian woody machine.  I use gnome rather than kde, but I often use kde
apps from gnome.  When I start one, such as konqueror, kword, or quanta,
the application seems to hang.  I can kill application process and
successfully restart it immediately afterward, but it always fails on
the first try.

Investigating further, I found that the following series of processes
start with every kde based app.

<application process>
/usr/bin/kdeinit --suicide
kdeinit: Starting up...
kdeinit: dcopserver --nosid --suicide
kdeinit: klauncher
kdeinit: kded
kdeinit: kded

So I can kill the application process after the first failed attempt,
and as long as I leave all the 'kdeinit' processes running, I can
restart any app without a problem.  But if they are not running, which
is the case before any kde based app gets started on the system, the
apps always hangs.

Any ideas why?