[GLLUG] kdeinit hanging

C. Ulrich dincht@securenym.net
Fri, 13 Dec 2002 15:22:22 -0700

Brad Fears wrote:
> I'm having trouble starting any of the kde based applications on my
> debian woody machine.  I use gnome rather than kde, but I often use kde
> apps from gnome.  When I start one, such as konqueror, kword, or quanta,
> the application seems to hang.  I can kill application process and
> successfully restart it immediately afterward, but it always fails on
> the first try.
>
> Investigating further, I found that the following series of processes
> start with every kde based app.
>
> <application process>
> /usr/bin/kdeinit --suicide
> kdeinit: Starting up...
> kdeinit: dcopserver --nosid --suicide
> kdeinit: klauncher
> kdeinit: kded
> kdeinit: kded
>
> So I can kill the application process after the first failed attempt,
> and as long as I leave all the 'kdeinit' processes running, I can
> restart any app without a problem.  But if they are not running, which
> is the case before any kde based app gets started on the system, the
> apps always hangs.
>
> Any ideas why?

No, but this is been a ongoing problem for KDE applications for quite some
time. I even get strange results from KDE apps depending on whether I start
them from the kicker (KDE's version of a Start Menu) or from an xterm. These
issues were supposed to be addressed with KDE 3.0 and then KDE 3.1, but so far
they still seem to be concentrating on visual appeal. I recently tried the
latest 3.1 release candidate which looks beautiful but was still somewhat
buggy and hogged resources.

I simply try not to run KDE apps. The only other thing to do is use KDE as
your full-time desktop or hope that the KDE developers hear your cry.

--Charles Ulrich
http://bityard.net