[GLLUG] X Window Managers

Jo Dillon jo@groupinfo.com
Fri, 13 Dec 2002 12:03:45 -0500

On Thu, Dec 12, 2002 at 03:40:26PM -0500, Paul Donahue wrote:
> Greetings GLLUG,
>
> I'm a long time member but have been in lurker mode for quite some
> time...
>
> So I am troubled to say that I have been drawn in by the GUIness and
> overall tasty look and feel of OS X. The only reason I am willing to
> admit this is due to OS X's obvious linux backend.

  BSD, actually...'Unix backend' is probably what you mean.

> So my issue is.. I want MY linux box to be as sexy and GUI (proounced
> gooey) as OS X. I dig the sweet little animations, taskbar and such.
>
> However.. I run debian. I love debian, I am not rich and cannot to drop
> serious cash on a fast mac and have lots of PC's.
>
> Does anyone know of any window managers that are extremely close to OS
> X's (I forget what it's actually called right now) or know of a hack to
> get X's running on XFree 4.0?

  There is no way to get Aqua (the OS X GUI) running on XFree. It's closed
source and not X11 based. There is, however, an Aqua window manager
and widget set theme for KDE, I believe. You won't get the same whizzy
taskbar or animations (X11 simply can't do most of that stuff) but
it'll look a little similar.

> I feel in a bit of a rut as I have been using WindowMaker for the past
> 5 years, and although I'm happy with it, it's lost it's WOW factor.

  I've always used NeXT decorations on my KDE desktop, actually :)

--

	Jo