Distributed GL; WAS: [GLLUG] X Window Managers

Jo Dillon jo@groupinfo.com
Fri, 13 Dec 2002 15:43:35 -0500

On Fri, Dec 13, 2002 at 02:31:48PM -0600, Cory Spitz wrote:
> Huh. I never realized that about 4DWM.  I had a Indy R5K at work until
> they replaced with a SunBlade just a few weeks ago.  I have to say, I
> miss my Indy, it was cute anyway :)  One of the things I miss the most
> is the mailbox.  Don't laugh too hard but the SGI GL mailbox (xbiff)
> was sweet.  The sun would rise/set on your mailbox depending upon your
> longitude and latitude and the time of the year.  We still have some
> SGI servers here but I can't run the mailbox app over X because my sun
> doesn't have Distributed OpenGL.  I did some brief googling but wasn't
> able to come up with much.  Anyone know if there are any SGI DGL
> clones out there?

  Distributed OpenGL?? Err, does that mean GLX (the standard X OpenGL
extension)? If not - if it's some SGI specific thing (probably SGI GL,
OpenGL's proprietary precursor, if so) - then you're stuffed. If it just
wants GLX, recent XFree86 will do that.

--

	Jo