[GLLUG] $199 Walmart PCs

Ross S. fusion812x@yahoo.com
Sat, 21 Dec 2002 14:06:10 -0800 (PST)

Nice Review.  I may get one of those for my family
members that don't have a computer and can't afford
one.  I'm not impressed at all with the C3 benchmarks
or performance.  But hey, at $199 it's still a deal...

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?cat=0&dept=5&product_id=2009643).

(http://www.viavpsd.com/product/epia_mini_itx_spec.jsp?motherboardId=21).
>  We talked about these a little at the last meeting
> and it looks like a great little board.  It has PXE
> support built right in, and every single part of it
> worked great (and was auto-detected) when I
> installed Red Hat 8.0 on the computer (you didn't
> think I ordered it with Lycoris for my Grandmother
> did you?  I just wanted to liscense so I could play
> around with it myself!  Seriously though, Red Hat
> 8.0 suits her needs better, and if Walmart offered a
> computer with it pre-installed I would have ordered
> it).  Sound, Video, Networking, USB, everything
> worked first try.  I'm getting used to this kind of
> thing, but it still impresses me.
>
> The other components used include 128Mbs of RAM
> (probably one stick,
> haven't opened the box yet though), a 10Gb IDE hard
> drive (very quiet,
> can't even hear seeks), a fast CD-ROM drive (56x or
> some such dribble),
> no floppy (no big deal), an 800Mhz C3 processor
> (which I find to be more
> than capable for surfind the internet, email, word
> processing, the
> occasional game of Iagno, and even *gasp* watching
> divx movies with
> MPlayer.
>
> For the curious, the least expensive I could find
> the specific VIA
> Mini-ITX board used on pricewatch was $114 including
> the 800Mhz CPU.
> Not exactly cheap compared to $34 for the CPU, and a
> Biostar M6VLQ which
> uses the VIA Apollo Pro PLE133 chipset to get
> on-board Video, Audio, and
> Networking for $39.
>
> Anyway, I'm pleased with the Walmart PC and more
> importantly, my
> grandmother is.  So while she's Mozilla'ing and
> OpenOffice.org'ing away
> this holiday season I'll be happily un-disturbed by
> calls about BSODs,
> hexadecimal memory address errors, crashing
> applications, un-cooperative
> printers, etc. etc. etc.
>
> --tim
> --