[GLLUG] $199 Walmart PCs]

Timothy Schmidt tim@schmidt.is-a-geek.com
21 Dec 2002 17:13:52 -0500

The C3's no speed demon for sure, but I've used several of them over the
last year or two and they've proven to be incredibly low on power usage
(means smaller & quieter fans, and a lower electric bill! -- seriously,
some athlons approach 80 Watts).  Playing a 700Mb Divx movie encoded at
about 700kbit/s in divx4 w/ a 64kbit/s stereo audio track encoded in Ogg
seems to be about the most the 800Mhz flavor can do.  As long as you're
playing it from the hard drive and nothing serious is going on in the
background.  Sometimes, if gtk-gnutella starts computing SHA1 hashes
while the movie is running it will drop frames, but nothing that keeps
you from enjoying the movie.

All in all, I'm pleased with the CPU for the price and the purpose.
Anyone interested in playing 3D games should look elsewhere however,
performance is _not_ good there.  A low-end duron will suit you much
better for very little extra.

--tim