[GLLUG] uh oh... mbr issues

C. Ulrich dincht@securenym.net
Fri, 27 Dec 2002 11:43:17 -0600 (CST)

steven collins said:
> So, in the process of trying to install Evil Entity Linux I have
> managed to 'break' the mbr. Now I do not get a choice as to what I'm
> booting off of (hda2 or hda6), it just boots off of hda6 through an old
> version of grub.
>
> I was tinkering with linux rescue but didn't really see a good way to
> edit the mbr... anyone have some advise other than re-installing? I'd
> really like ot recover my RH7.2 partition without having to re-install
> it. I could care less about the other OS (which is now mandrake 9...
> got that in while trying to get  SOMETHING running on here ;P).
>
> -steven

With MBR's you don't as much "fix" or "restore" them as you do simply
overwrite them with something else. With Linux, you just draft up a new LILO
configuration file, run /sbin/lilo, and cross your fingers. Might be a good
idea to have a bootdisk at the ready. GRUB is a good option if you don't
mind reading the documentation.

--Charles Ulrich
http://bityard.net